Tuesday, December 15, 2009

RSS

I have to admit, feeds are handy, as long as you don't subscribe to too many of them. I subscribe to the NY Times and the Washington Post front page and world news feeds and enjoy being able to skim them 1x-2x a day and maybe a read an article that interests me over my lunch hour. The thing that I don't like about it is how reductive the synopses can be, but I realize that that will be true of anything where someone is trying to encapsulate large pieces of information into just a few sentences. The danger is relying solely on the headlines without actually reading the articles, but that could also be true of skimming a print edition of the newspaper too.

I've decided to sign up for the Library Journal feed. I've never really read a library feed before, but I'll try it out and see what I think over the next couple of months. The Library of Congress also had a lot of feeds available. I subscribed to the general news one since I wasn't really sure if I wanted to subscribe to a feed solely for news about digital collections, but the weekly feed about updates to the classification system could be very useful for someone working in a library that used LOC.

No comments:

Post a Comment